This week we have received so much rain in Texas that we thought that we may need to consider building an ark. Don’t get us wrong, we love rainy nights when the thunder is rolling in the distance. We don’t even mind a few good cracks of lightning now and then. We know that we will appreciate this rain during the middle of August when we don’t need to be on water restrictions, but we haven’t seen the sun in a week!
We have the perfect meal to bring you a taste of summer in the middle of winter — Crockpot BBQ Chicken. Rhonda found this recipe years ago in Southern Living Magazine. It has been sitting in her recipe file for years, so we thought we’d give it a shot. It turned out to be a pleasant surprise. It is easy, tasty and fresh. We bet it will become part of your usual rotation, because it is definitely going to become part of ours.
First, stir together salt, paprika, garlic powder and pepper in a small bowl.
Place the chicken in a single layer in your crockpot. We had to layer ours a bit. Then sprinkle the pepper and salt mixture on the chicken. We made sure to coat each piece with the mixture.
Next, you will whisk together cola, ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and whiskey. Make sure to pour this along the side of the crock pot, so you don’t remove the spices from the chicken.
Cover and cook on high for 5 hours or low for 6.5-7.5 hours. Sit back and enjoy yourself, because all of the hard work is done.
When you are ready to serve, transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Pour pan juices over the chicken for extra flavor.
The chicken was so tender and juicy, it fell apart on our plate. Yummo.
The recipe calls for using a whole chicken, but our family are chicken breast people. This is a great recipe for making shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches the next day. However, at The Blind Pig House, there were no leftovers. #teenageboys
Need a little taste of summer to brighten your winter blues? Try Crockpot BBQ Chicken and let us know what you think. By the way, the sun just came out! Have a great week.
Want the recipe? Visit our site for a printable version of Crockpot BBQ Chicken.
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 cut up whole chicken or 4-5 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of cola soft drink
- 1/3 cup of ketchup
- 1/4 cup of firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. rye whiskey
- Stir together first four ingredients in a small bowl. Place chicken in a single layer in crockpot. Sprinkle pepper and salt mixture over each chicken piece.
- Whisk together cola and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Slowly pour mixture between chicken pieces.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 hours or low for 6 1/2 -7 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken from crockpot and place on a serving tray. Pour pan juices over chicken and serve immediately.