We are optimistically looking toward warming weather and Spring. To get you in the mood for warmer weather, we are featuring a delicious season transitional treat: Bourbon Toffee Cups. We first found this easy recipe years ago on Southern Living Magazine. We twisted it up and bit to make it our own. We hope it satisfies your taste buds as much as it did ours.
To make this yummy dessert you start with a basic brownie mix. Mix the brownie mix as usual, and then add in two mashed bananas. Bake according to package directions.
While the brownies are baking, stir together sugar, corn syrup, butter, salt, and heavy cream in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat stirring often. We cooked ours for about 45 minutes. You can see how the color began to change the longer we cooked the mixture. As the color starts to turn, add bourbon to pudding mixture.
As the color changes to amber, stir in 1 cup of heavy cream and increase the heat to medium. Cook stirring constantly for about 5 minutes. The mixture will begin to thicken. Remove from heat and cool.
Cut the cooled brownies in small cubes. Layer brownies, toffee pudding in small jars or dessert bowls.
Beat remaining heavy cream with 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of bourbon in a bowl that has been chilled in a freezer for 30 minutes. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
Spoon over cups of brownies and pudding. Sprinkle with Heath or toffee bits.
Bourbon Toffee Cups
- 1 package of fudge brownie mix
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 3 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 T bourbon
- Heath Toffee bits
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions. Add mashed bananas to the mix. Bake according to package directions.
- Stir together sugar, light corn syrup, butter and salt, and 1 1/4 cups of heavy cream in small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring often, for about 45 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup of bourbon.
- Stir in 1 cup of heavy cream and increase heat to medium. Cook stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut cooled brownies into small cubes. Layer brownies and toffee mixture in small jars or dessert bowls.
- Beat remaining heavy cream with powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of bourbon until soft peaks form. Top with whipped cream and toffee bits.
If you are viewing this post via email, visit us at http://www.theblindpig.blog for a complete downloadable recipe.
Bourbon Toffee Cups are so sweet and savory. It is best to serve them in small portions. We used small preserve jars and small dessert cups for ours. It was just the right amount!
The extra cooled sauce can be saved as a topping for ice cream later. (You know we love an excuse to eat ice cream!)
Try this easy, delicious dessert this week. You won’t be disappointed that you did!
Posts you might have missed.
You Say Tomato… We Say Bloody Mary