Occasionally we stumble across a recipe that is ah-mazing! It is so delicious that we can’t wait to tell our Blind Pig readers about it. This week we are sharing Bananas Foster Coffee Cake with you. This coffee cake has the delicious flavors of traditional banana bread with a yummy rum sauce to top it off.
It was a huge hit in our household. It was so delicious that Craig and Piglet #3 were already biting into it before Rhonda had time to take some photos. We wish that we were the wonderful creators of this recipe, but we cannot take the credit. We found it in a December 2014 issue of Southern Living Magazine.
The ingredients that you will need for this delicious treat are — ripe bananas, dark rum, brown sugar, softened butter, vanilla extract, cream cheese, eggs, all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, pecans, cinnamon, sugar and heavy cream.
The recipe seems lengthy and a little intimidating at first, don’t get overwhelmed. This was fairly easy to make and the outcome is a worthwhile trade off.
The original recipe called for more rum sauce, but we felt that it was way too much sauce. We cut the sauce ingredients in half in our version of the recipe. Another note about the rum sauce is that you want to drizzle it over the coffee cake while the sauce is warm. The sauce thickens very quickly and cannot be drizzled after about 15 minutes. Drizzle while warm!
You can see that the rum sauce becomes thick quickly.
The coffee cake is ready to serve as soon as the sauce is drizzled. However, it also keeps well if you want to make a day or evening ahead. We nibbled on ours for several days and it was delicious until the very end. Bananas Foster Coffee Cake would be a great addition to any brunch, special breakfast or coffee with friends. (Grandma Ruth, this would be great for your coffees with friends!)
If you are viewing this post via email, visit us at www.theblindpig.blog for a complete recipe for Bananas Foster Coffee Cake.
Bananas Foster Coffee Cake
1 2 x 2 square
1 hour, 45 minutes
2 hours, 5 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
- 5 Tbsp. dark rum, divided
- 2 cups brown sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 cups soft butter, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/4 cups plus 1 1/2 Tbsp. all purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 tsp plus a pinch of salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook bananas, 3 tablespoons of rum, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup butter in a skillet until mixture is bubbly. Cool; stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup of butter at medium speed with a mixer until creamy. Add one cup of brown sugar, and beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Stir together 3 cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and next two ingredients; add to cream cheese mixture beating at low speed to blend. Stir in banana mixture. Spoon into a 13 x 9 inch pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Combine pecans, cinnamon, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup flour. Melt 1/4 cup of butter and stir into pecan mixture. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool for about 10 minutes.
- For rum sauce: Combine granulated sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoon of flour, and a pinch of salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Add cream and 1/4 cup of butter. Bring to a boil whisking constantly for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of rum and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Immediately drizzle rum sauce over the coffee cake. Serve warm or cooled. Either way is delicious.
We enjoyed this coffee cake with a latte from our front porch last Sunday. It was the perfect start to a lazy weekend morning. Try the recipe soon and let us know what you think. Better yet, make the recipe, share it with friends and tell them about our blog!