Hi friends, we know we have been absent the past few weeks. We have been busy with work, family commitments, home projects and more. There are only a finite number of hours in a week and day. To be frank, we just did not have the energy to create a post. Now that summer is here and things seem to be slowing down a bit, we are hopeful that we can be more consistent with our posting.
This week we are starting off the summer season with a delicious summer dessert that everyone will love – Banana Rum Trifles. These delicious desserts are easy and fun to serve at your next pool party. Summer is the perfect time to have a light, refreshing dessert that can be chilling in the fridge as you spend time with your guests.
We adapted this recipe from a recipe that we found in the March 2021 Better Homes and Gardens. To make Banana Rum Trifles you will need the following ingredients: milk, cornstarch, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract, dark rum, Nilla wafers and bananas.
First you place the milk, cornstarch and sugar in a small saucepan. While whisking constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat. (We cooked our mixture about five minutes.) Cook one more minute. Whisk in condensed milk. Transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate a minimum of one hour.
After the milk mixture has set a minimum of an hour in the refrigerator, pour heavy cream into an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat on low until the cream thickens, then beat on high until stiff peaks form. Add the milk mixture, vanilla extract and rum. Whisk on medium until well mixed.
Prepare banana slices and grind Nilla wafers in a blender or food processor. In small serving glasses begin layering 1 tablespoon of wafer crumbs, a layer of sliced bananas, 2-3 heaping table spoons of whipped mixture. Follow with another layer of crumbs, bananas and whipped mixture. Place a full Nilla wafer and banana slice on top for garnish. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
To provide an easier way to serve the trifles, we chose to place ours in cocktail glasses for single servings. Some suggestions could be to serve in stemless wine glasses, martini glasses or small serving bowls.
This dessert was an hit in the Blind Pig household. The prep was minimal and it was convenient that it could be made hours before we needed to serve it. Try it out, it just might become your go-to dessert for this summer!
If you are viewing this post via email, visit us at www.theblindpig.blog for a complete recipe for Banana Rum Trifles.
Banana Rum Trifles
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 T. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 14-oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 3 c. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 ounce dark rum
- 1 1-lb box of Nilla wafers
- 5 large bananas sliced
- Place milk, cornstarch and sugar in a small saucepan. Whisking constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for one more minute. Whisk in condensed milk and transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of one hour.
- Pour heavy cream into a bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment. Beat on low until the cream thickens. Then beat on high until stiff peaks form. Add the milk mixture, vanilla extract and rum. Whisk on medium until well mixed.
- Using a blender or food processor, grind 1/2 box of Nilla wafers into crumbs. Slice bananas.
- Add a tablespoon of Nilla wafer crumbs to the bottom of each serving glass. Top with a layer of bananas, followed by 2-3 heaping tablespoons of whipped mixture.
- Repeat with layers of crumbs, bananas, and whipped mixture. Top with a whole Nilla wafer and a slice of banana for garnish.
- Chill until ready to serve.